Tips to Help Improve Your Writing Skills
- Create an outline before writing the content. Lay out how you want to present your message.
- Spend 80-90% of your time on creating a powerful headline and sub-headline. (Prior to writing the body content)
- Create a first draft without worrying about spelling, grammar, and format.
- First and last paragraphs are the most important. Rewrite these as many times as it takes to be very powerful. A good technique for the last paragraph is to create a brief summary.
- Use only a single idea for each sentence. Most writers have multiple ideas in a sentence. Keep it simple. (The exception is the headline where you can use up to 3 related ideas.)
- Use shorter words rather than larger. Seven letters or less is optimum.
- Create short sentences with 17 words or fewer.
- Eliminate words that are not necessary. Make sure your message is complete but condensed.
- Make statements that can be proven and backed up with facts.
- Use testimonials if possible. Quoting other professionals or experts endorses your position.
- Take time-off between rewrites/editing. Stepping away for a while provides a fresh look.
Source: Gary Sorrell, Sorrell Associates, LLC. Copyright protected. All rights reserved.
Be the First to Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published.